Too busy to read this post? Listen to it in Audio format.
IELTS General Writing Task 1 with model answer
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. Write about the following topic
During a recent plane journey, you sat next to a businessman who owns a chain of restaurants. You talked to him and he suggested that you should contact him about a possible job in one of his restaurants.
Write a letter to this businessman. In your letter
- remind him when and where you met
- tell him what kind of job you are interested in
- say why you think you would be suitable for the job
Write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write any addresses.
Begin your letter as follows: Dear ...,
Dear Mr. Paul,
I am writing this letter as a follow-up from our last week's conversation that took place in Malaysian Airlines, Flight AK 716 to Kuala Lumpur. I was sitting next to you in the business class section, wearing a white hat and brown sunglasses.
As you recall, we had a talk about my unemployment status, and you spoke about some vacancies available in one of your restaurants. I have been working as a tax consultant for a few years, and I believe I have a knack with numbers. As such, I am passionate in the accounting, audit and tax fields as it all involves figures and calculations. With the above in mind, I am keen to pursue the same field I started out with. I do remember you needed someone to help out with your company accounts.
Apart from being a detail-oriented person, I have a fun side to my personality as I am an extrovert. Striking up a conversation, being with people and entertaining are among my plus points.
I hope that both my personality and work experience will fit in well with the job candidacy available at your restaurant.
Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to a positive response from your end.
Total Words: 205
Task Achievement: 9
Coherence & Cohesion: 9
Lexical resources: 9
Overall Score: Band 9Tags: general general training model answer writing task 1
IELTS Score Calculators and Estimators:
Useful FREE resources for IELTS preparation:
- Free IELTS preparation Course
- Free IELTS Model Answers for Academic and General Writing tasks
- Recent IELTS exam questions from all over the world
- Free IELTS Exam Day Cheat Sheet
Best Books for IELTS:
- Official IELTS Practice Material
- The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
- Barron's IELTS Superpack
- Cambridge Grammar for IELTS
- IELTS 14 Academic Student's Book
Tutorials on Essay Writing
- How to identify the main topic and all parts of the IELTS writing task essay?
- How to brainstorm and organise ideas for writing task 2?
Finally, if you need ongoing feedback from an experienced IELTS teacher for your writing or speaking tasks, simply subscribe to one of our IELTS CORRECTION packs