Too busy to read this post? Listen to it in Audio format.
IELTS General Writing Task 1 with model answer
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. Write about the following topic
The system used for rubbish/garbage collection in your local area is not working properly. This is causing problems for you and your neighbours. Write a letter to the local council. In your letter
- describe how the rubbish collection system is not working properly
- explain how this is affecting you and your neighbours
- suggest what should be done about the problem
Write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write any addresses.
Begin your letter as follows: Dear Sir or Madam,
Dear Sir or Madam,
I am writing this letter to express the distressing situation that the community of Primary Garden is facing due to the faulty rubbish collection system.
Garbage is usually collected and thrown away, every alternate day at the dumping yard allocated to the neighbourhood. However, for the past week, we noticed that the garbage collector's lorry did not pass by our area to pick up the trash.
The accumulated waste that has piled-up through the week is posing health threats to the community, The pungent smell of rubbish is seeping into people's houses and as a result, children have started falling sick by breathing the contaminated air.
I would like to suggest that the local council look into this matter urgently. Kindly send over the garbage collector to our area as soon as possible. In the long run, we propose that a monitoring schedule be incorporated into the system. Such enhancements would assure people that their local area's garbage will definitely be picked up in a timely manner.
Thank you for your co-operation.
Total Words: 180
Task Achievement: 9
Coherence & Cohesion: 9
Lexical resources: 9
Overall Score: Band 9Tags: general general training model answer writing task 1
IELTS Score Calculators and Estimators:
Useful FREE resources for IELTS preparation:
- Free IELTS preparation Course
- Free IELTS Model Answers for Academic and General Writing tasks
- Recent IELTS exam questions from all over the world
- Free IELTS Exam Day Cheat Sheet
Best Books for IELTS:
- Official IELTS Practice Material
- The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
- Barron's IELTS Superpack
- Cambridge Grammar for IELTS
- IELTS 14 Academic Student's Book
Tutorials on Essay Writing
- How to identify the main topic and all parts of the IELTS writing task essay?
- How to brainstorm and organise ideas for writing task 2?
Finally, if you need ongoing feedback from an experienced IELTS teacher for your writing or speaking tasks, simply subscribe to one of our IELTS CORRECTION packs