Too busy to read this post? Listen to it in Audio format.
IELTS General Writing Task 1 with model answer
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task. Write about the following topic
While your friend was away on vacation, you stayed in his apartment. While you were there, you dropped an expensive bowl and broke it.
Write a letter to your friend. In your letter
- explain what happened
- apologise for the accident
- tell your friend what you plan to do about the bowl
Write at least 150 words.
You do NOT need to write any addresses.
Begin your letter as follows: Dear ______,
First and foremost, thank you for allowing me to stay in your apartment for a couple of days. On the last day of my stay, I was busy cleaning up the home to make it look sparkling clean up on your arrival from your holiday. However, while I was washing the dishes in the kitchen, your blue porcelain bowl, which you had purchased from Europe, slipped from my fingers and shattered into pieces.
I was mortified, and my hands are still trembling while writing this letter, as I know, that lovely bowl was expensive and you treasured it so much. Please forgive my reckless behaviour, I am extremely sorry for breaking your precious belonging.
I hope I can compensate your loss. My uncle will be visiting Europe next week. Perhaps I could speak to him and he might be able to spot the exact same bowl there?
Do let me know your thoughts on this matter. Once again, I am truly sorry.
Total Words: 180
Task Achievement: 9
Coherence & Cohesion: 9
Lexical resources: 9
Overall Score: Band 9
IELTS Score Calculators and Estimators:
Useful FREE resources for IELTS preparation:
- Free IELTS preparation Course
- Free IELTS Model Answers for Academic and General Writing tasks
- Recent IELTS exam questions from all over the world
- Free IELTS Exam Day Cheat Sheet
Best Books for IELTS:
- Official IELTS Practice Material
- The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
- Barron's IELTS Superpack
- Cambridge Grammar for IELTS
- IELTS 14 Academic Student's Book
Tutorials on Essay Writing
- How to identify the main topic and all parts of the IELTS writing task essay?
- How to brainstorm and organise ideas for writing task 2?
Finally, if you need ongoing feedback from an experienced IELTS teacher for your writing or speaking tasks, simply subscribe to one of our IELTS CORRECTION packs