Too busy to read this post? Listen to it in Audio format.
IELTS Academic Writing Task 1 with model answer
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
The diagram below shows the life cycle of a salmon, from egg to adult fish.
Summarize the information by selecting and reporting the main features and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 Words.
The provided diagram depicts the life cycle of a salmon fish , divided into different stages, from its egg stage till it becomes an adults. Overall, a salmon fish goes through six main phases to fully grow from their hatching period and spends its life in three distinct locations – river, estuary and ocean.
Adult salmon fishes lay eggs in rivers and incubate their eggs there. Thus, the life cycle of a salmon fish starts from the incubation stage in a river. After emerging from eggs, the infant salmon spend their next stage in freshwater and this phase is called emergence. Then, they are reared in freshwater to grow further. After few days, these fishes swim to river estuaries where their rearing continues. At this stage, their size becomes larger. Afterward, the matured fishes migrate to the ocean and become adults. Finally, grown up salmons move to spawning areas of rivers to lay eggs and the life cycle of the next generation starts over.
Total Words: 165
Task Achievement: 8
Coherence & Cohesion: 8
Lexical resources: 8
Overall Score: Band 8Tags: academic training model answer writing task 1
IELTS Score Calculators and Estimators:
Useful FREE resources for IELTS preparation:
- Free IELTS preparation Course
- Free IELTS Model Answers for Academic and General Writing tasks
- Recent IELTS exam questions from all over the world
- Free IELTS Exam Day Cheat Sheet
Best Books for IELTS:
- Official IELTS Practice Material
- The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS
- Barron's IELTS Superpack
- Cambridge Grammar for IELTS
- IELTS 14 Academic Student's Book
Tutorials on Essay Writing
- How to identify the main topic and all parts of the IELTS writing task essay?
- How to brainstorm and organise ideas for writing task 2?
Finally, if you need ongoing feedback from an experienced IELTS teacher for your writing or speaking tasks, simply subscribe to one of our IELTS CORRECTION packs