Here's a summary of the best strategies and techniques to score Band 7+ in IELTS Writing Task 1 (Academic Training) mentioned in the IELTS Twenty20 course for quick reference.
The best way to use this guide is to print it out and paste it on a board where you can read it any time you want.
Go over the techniques and strategies as many times as possible before the exam so that they become second nature.
I guarantee you that if you follow the strategies mentioned in this guide you will score band 7 or above.
If you feel that you are struggling with any specific IELTS module don’t wait too long to ask for help. I have a team of some of the best IELTS teachers from around the world who can help you with your IELTS preparation. Simply email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or signup today to get started.
Band 7+ Strategies for IELTS Academic Training - Writing Task 1
- Always write an introduction however do not merely copy the words from the question as your introduction. rephrase the question and use synonyms instead.
- Highlight the key features in the figure using statistics and percentages and explain them clearly and appropriately. However do not include every single detail in the figure.
- Pay special attention to the units.
- Organize key points into paragraphs. No bullet points or short notes.
- Do not analyse the data based on your assumptions and never give personal opinions to describe the charts
- Always write an overview at the end. Use "To sum up" instead of "In conclusion" for the overview.
- Write at least 150 words in your report but no more than 200 words.
- Spend no more than 20 minutes on Writing task 1 so that you have 40 minutes for Task 2. Task 2 is worth twice as much as Task 1 and so you must spend more time on Task 2.
- Use a wide range of grammatical structures and vocabulary.
- Make effective comparisons and use a variety of linking words: FIRSTLY, SECONDLY, AFTER THAT, NEXT, FINALLY
Tags: academic training IELTS writing task 1