Here's a reading passage for practice. By now you should be able to finish each passage in no more than 5 minutes ...
Stem Cell Research
1. Scientists have for the first time created a functional human liver from stem cells derived from skin and blood and say their success points to a future Where much-needed livers and other transplant organs could be made in a laboratory.
2. While it may take another 10 years before lab-grown livers could be used to treat patients, the Japanese scientists say they now have important proof of concept that paves the Way for more ambitious organ-growing experiments.
3. "The promise of an off-the-shelf liver seems much closer than one could hope even a year ago," said Dusko Illic, a stem cell expert at King's College London who was not directly involved in the research but praised its success.
4. He said however that while the technique looks "very promising" and represents a huge step forward, "there is much unknown and it will take years before it could be applied in regenerative medicine."
Match the right heading with each paragraph
a. A cautious step in the right direction
b. A stem cell expert's positive review
c. Scientists hopeful for future organ experiments
d. Breakthrough in producing new organs
e. Scientists create a functional human kidney
f. Dusko Illic promises to get involved in the research process
True, False, and Not Given
1. Scientists use stem cells to create functional human liver.
2. Dusko lllic spent ten years teaching about stem cell research at King's College in London
3. Japanese scientists say it may be another 5 years before they can implement it to treat patients.
True, False, Not Given:
2. Not Given
3.False, Japanese scientists say it may be another 10 years before they can implement it to treat patients.
This is charan
Answers are in the “Answers” tab.
I guess the passages are not this short in the exam. they are about 1000 words. Its good if I could get such passages as i would like to answer it with a timer to get used to the exam.