NOTE: This topic is for IELTS General Training test ONLY. If you are taking the IELTS Academic training test then skip this lesson.
In IELTS General Writing Task 1 you are asked to write a letter of at least 150 words.
It might sound simple but there are some critical techniques that you must demonstrate in order to get a band score of 7 and beyond in writing task 1. If you fail to do the following then you will NOT go beyond IELTS Band 6.
In today’s IELTS playlist, you will learn the must-do techniques for scoring a Band 7+ in IELTS General Writing Task 1.
Click on the playlist below to start learning NOW!
Here's a summary of the IELTS Band 7+ Check list for General Writing Task 1
- First off, read & understand the purpose of the letter for Writing Task 1.
- Recognize the type of letter and decide if it is a formal letter or informal letter.
- Begin and end your letter appropriately.
- Identify an appropriate tone for the letter and use it consistently throughout the letter.
- Cover all key bullet points mentioned in the question and explain them clearly and appropriately.
- Use a wide range of grammatical structures and vocabulary.
- Write the letter in paragraphs. No bullet points or short notes.
- Write at least 150 words but no more than 200 words.
- Spend no more than 20 minutes on Writing task 1 so that you have 40 minutes for Task 2. Task 2 is worth twice as much as Task 1 and so you must spend more time on Task 2.